Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Week 1: No Hurry Vegetable Curry

I found this recipe by Robin Robertson on www.fatfreevegan.com. It came from a book titled Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker:

What to use:

1 tablespoon peanut oil -- (I used olive oil.)
2 large carrots -- sliced diagonally
1 medium yellow onion -- chopped
3 cloves garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 large Yukon gold potatoes -- peeled and diced (I used yams.)
8 ounces green beans -- cut 1-inch thick
1 1/2 cups chickpeas -- rinse, if canned
15 ounces canned tomatoes -- drained (I used stewed tomatoes.)
2 cups vegetable stock (fatfree)
1/2 cup green peas, frozen -- thawed
1/2 cup canned coconut milk -- (I used lite, low fat coconut milk.)

What to do:

1. Sauté the onion in oil until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the spices and stir to coat.

(My coriander was old and had turned into light brown fluff similar in appearance to brown sugar. I tasted it because I was suspicious that my husband had put brown sugar in an empty coriander jar. He hadn't. The coriander, over time, had simply become weird. Further investigation is necessary. I used it anyway.)

2. Transfer the vegetable mixture to your slow cooker & add potatoes, green beans, beans, tomatoes & soup.

(I also added my carrots and garlic here. I'm not sure why these were omitted by the recipe on the website. There was some initial panic - it didn't look like everything would fit in my 2 quart slow cooker. Luckily everything did fit.)

3. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.

(I turned on my slow cooker at 9 AM and instructed my husband to turn it off between 3 and 5 PM. I will be at work. Two hours into the cooking process the house smells like curry and takes me back to the days I traveled in India.)

4. Just before serving add the peas & coconut milk and season with salt to taste. Adjust other seasonings if necessary.

Results:

The jury is still out on this recipe. When I get home from work tonight I'll add the peas and coconut milk, allowing the recipe to stew for a little while in the slow cooker. It will be stored in the refrigerator overnight and we'll eat it for dinner tomorrow night over basmati rice.

More details to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment